Trolleybus city: Schaffhausen [Schweiz]
|City:||Schaffhausen (34.600 citizens)|
Link to route-sheme: VBSH_Netzplan_2015
The single Trolleybus route, route 1 currently has a 10 minute service and is served by a fleet of 7 articulated trolleybuses.
News for Schaffhausen
|04.06.2012||New Tower Wagon, Road Works No Problem||26.04.2010||Seven new HESS-SwissTrolleys ordered!||01.02.2010||Tender about 7 trolleybuses released||20.04.2009||What price the environment?||08.09.2008||Pro trolleybus||23.06.2008||Initiative Pro Trolleybus||04.01.2007||The continuation of Trolleybus route no 1 endangered?|
|1||Herbstäcker - Neuhausen - Bahnhof - Ebnat - Waldfriedhof||8,8 km||10/10|
1 frequency: minutes peak / off peak
Vehicles: 7 trolleybuses
As a result of a referendum on 13.09.1964 it was decided that the tram route from Schaffhausen to neighbouring Neuhausen, which had served the community since 11.05.1901, be converted to Trolleybus. A second tram route, to neighbouring Breite, had already been closed and replaced by diesel buses on 31.07.1928.
The inauguration of the new Trolleybus route took place on 24.09.1966. Five articulated Trolleybuses, identical to the ones delivered to Winterthur, were initially available. A further five vehicles, on loan from Winterthur, were used until the five new solo Trolleybuses could be delivered.
Five vehicles were required for the normal service and a further five for rush hour services, which reduced the headway to a five minute service.
During the spring of 1970 the route was extended from Ebnat to Waldfriedhof in St. Niklausen and on 29.05.1974 a further 700 metre extension from Ebnat to Herblingertal. It was here that, later, a new depot was to be opened on 31.05.1987. This depot was so constructed that it had the capacity to take the Trolleybuses and diesel buses and the running of the diesel bus routes, which until then had been in the hands of a private company, Rattin AG, was taken over by the communal public transport company.
A final extension to route 1 took place when on 04.08.1980 the stretch from Neuhausen to Herbstäcker went into service.
On route six articulated Trolleybuses were required to maintain the regular service. A further articulated trolleybus was acquired during 1975. On route 9, which was basically a reinforcement route on the section between the Ebnat Depot and Neuhausen, four solo Trolleybuses were required. After acquiring a further two second hand Trolleybuses from Lucerne the fleet total amounted to six articulated and seven solo Trolleybuses.
During 1991 and 1992 eight new articulated Trolleybuses replaced the original 10 vehicles from 1966. On the 20th. of September 1995 Diesel bus route 6 replaced the route 9 branch serving Herbingertal. Route 1 now offered a 7 to 8 minute service during the rush hour between the main station and Neuenhausen. From 14.12.2003 route 6 to Neuenhausen was to provide a parallel service via a new route thus relieving the extra vehicles, which were used during rush hour times.